Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Western Taco Salad

This is probably the cheapest, easiest, and yummiest thing I make! Every time I make this I get nostalgic, dreaming of summers living in a crappy trailer with no air conditioning and the only relief you felt was going outside.  On some of the hottest days when there was no way in hell my mom was turning on the oven, she would cook this up and top it with tomatoes fresh out of our garden. No matter how many times I make it, it never quite tastes like it did when my mom made it. You may wonder why anyone would get nostalgic for that but those summers are some of my fondest memories. Sorry for the stroll down memory lane, now back to the taco salad.


This is probably one of the simplest things that I make, here's what you need:
Taco Meat
2 lbs of ground beef, ground turkey, ground chicken, whatever you like!


approximately 1/2 cup shredded frozen onion (remember my ***Chunky Girl Tip***? That's ok if you don't here it is)


1/4 tsp cracked black pepper

1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 tbls homemade taco seasoning (recipe to follow) or package seasoning of your choice
2/3 cup of water

Taco Salad Fixins
Lettuce
Tomato
Western Dressing (just trust me on this!)
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Nacho Cheese Doritos



Place your thawed hamburger and your shredded onion in a large skillet.  Sprinkle your pepper, salt, cumin and garlic powder over top and brown your beef.

While your meat is cooking I take this time to cut up tomatoes and tear up lettuce.  After the meat is finished I drain the grease very well in a colander and add the 2/3 cup of water to the pan.  After my meat is thoroughly drained I sprinkle the taco seasoning on top of the meat and stir well and then allow to come to a simmer.  It's really as simple as that.  Top your lettuce with the taco meat, as much Western dressing as you like, cheese, tomatoes, and mix to coat with the dressing.  Top with Doritos and you're ready to eat!!! Personally, I like to crumble my Doritos over the top and my husband likes to scoop. Eat up! Dinner's done!!!




Taco Seasoning
I make this in a big batch but I've reduced it for only one serving (one store bought size pouch)

1 tbls chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (if you don't like spicy food, you could leave this out or sub 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper)
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper


Mix in bowl and sprinkle over beef.

No comments:

Post a Comment