Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Vegetable Soup

Vegetable soup makes me think of fall but I found myself making it in the dead of summer. Why? You ask. Because it sounded yummy and can feed us for many meals! There isn't a whole lot to write about this meal, all you need are the following items, a 6 qt crock pot, and some time.


Here's what you need:
1 qt can of tomato juice
2 14.5 oz cans of petite diced tomatoes
1 14 oz can of chicken broth
3 medium sized potatoes, diced
1 12oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables
1 12oz bag of frozen corn
1 12oz bag of carrots
1 12oz bag of green beans


When it comes to the vegetables add a much or as little as you like of each veggie.  Personally, carrots, corn, and green beans are my favorite so that's why I add more of those.  Or you could always just use 4 bags of mixed vegetables if you don't want more of one than the other.  Or you could always add beans or beef to your soup, however you like it. I have heard of people using Bloody Mary mix instead of the tomato juice to give it a little kick! I haven't tried that because of the little ones but if you do let me know how it turns out!
Seasonings to Taste
Paprika
Rosemary
Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
Thyme
Basil
Ground Red Pepper (Cayenne)
Garlic Powder
Hot Sauce
1-2 Bay Leaves (Don't forget to take them out!)


Place all of this in the crock pot, stir, cover with the lid, turn the heat to low for 8 hours or high for 6, and walk away.  It's as simple as that! In the time it takes you to go to work you can come home to a lovely meal. Serve hot with a grilled cheese is my favorite way to enjoy vegetable soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment